The Crown Theatre Eccles, Salford
The Crown Theatre, has been open since 1899,when it was known as the Lyceum Theatre.It is a magnificent example of Victorian
architecture and is a landmark building in the town of Eccles. The intention was to provide a luxury theatre for Shakespeare productions and drama. The façade is of moulded red brick of five storeys with terracotta dressings to the three high arched windows at the first floor, and an asymmetrically placed short corner tower, which once had a roof with a balcony. The auditorium of the original building was designed with three balconies, supported by four columns. The ornamentation of the proscenium arch is a representation of Shakespeare’s ‘Seven Ages of Man’.Becoming a cinema in 1932, it was later adapted for Cinemascope, ending stage use.